Thursday, February 7, 2008


Our small group the other night was awesome. As a matter of fact God continues to teach me so much through my friends. Wow! I love it when my brothers love me enough to correct me sometimes delibertly and sometimes without even knowing it.

Example 1
I recently finished my guest past at L.A. Fitness. I really want to do a better job in taking care of myself and each year it's the same old promise and months later it fades away. So I adopted this policy of saying only what I have done about it instead of what I am going to do. So I went to the gym doing the guest past deal for about 2 weeks and when it was time to sign up I refused to in a defiant way to pay the joining fee of $49.00. I did it because I saw on TV (that source of all knowledge) that these types of fees were very negotiable. So, I stood my ground and refused to budge knowing that they would cave before I did. A week passed and then another and still nothing. Well, this past weekend a friend of mine called me out asking me if I had caved along with the disclaimer of if not that joining and doing what I had spoke about was the main goal. It was just a passing comment but stuck with me all the way home that evening. I knew then that there was no way I would cave that my "PRIDE" would not allow for me to do so. POW! Pride...yeah that lets save a few bucks turned quickly into all about me. The holy spirit convicted me big time. Great, I am going to let $49.00 or two nights out eating stop me from accomplishing the big goal of dare I say it...exercise. I am so glad Aaron said that and I now see how God was clearly sending me a message. Have you ever started out with the right intentions only to find yourself like I did?

Example 2
I am in an awesome small group. Each week we meet and encourage each other along with discussing the bible and life in general. Last night I was in a non-focus mode much like I use to be in school. It started in third grade. Up until then I was pretty much an ace student and my conduct grades were right up there as well. We got our report card and Mrs. Hughes dropped a bomb. My conduct grades (yes, we got school work grades and conduct grades) were not good. Circled with a red pin was " does not listen attentively" and "distracts others". My mom was furious at me. I tried to explain that my school grades were still good so why did this matter. She said keeping others from learning just because I would finish early was something that I needed to change or it would stay with me forever. Harsh words to a 8 year old boy. Sadly, she was right. While I am not as bad as I use to be, but then again that's my assesment, I still manage to place myself back in Mrs. Hughes class getting the stare that I had better stop. Well, there are very few people who have the abliity to speak to me without saying a word. My Mom, Dad, Robin, and Mrs. Hughes are among those elite and now a very good friend of mine. I got "that stare" last night. I had not seen it for a long time but it was the stare of correction. Not a word spoken but I knew I had crossed the line. I in fact was disrutping the group. It's great to have a brother who can correct me when needed.

Well, I think I just heard the bell ring, off to lunch.

CYBESD and even if it's a stare or passing comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

miss you, bro.
-jaqua