Saturday, September 8, 2007

Look closer



What do you see. Some of you may have seen it before in past while others have never seen this print from Thomas Blackshshear II. When I became a Christian it was one of the first prints I was drawn to in my walk. Just seeing Jesus hold me up reminds me of one dark night not so long ago. It depicts how I felt that night. I had to look again at my life and see I needed God. I wanted him in my darkest moment. Why can't I feel that all the time? I strive for that in my life.



Look closer at the print again. The mallet and the spike in his hands are reminders that each of us is responsible for the death of Jesus Christ on the cross. The contemporary man in the painting is in despair and ready to fall to the ground. His expression is that of pain, disparity, helplessness. He himself is a reflection of a man who is totally dependant of God for his salvation. God himself is present to show his grace and love for us all at all times. The setting the author tells us is that of Mt. Calvary the site of the crucifixion. God's over sized hands depict his strength that we should rely on and not ours. His holiness and divinity is seen in the halo of light that surrounds his head. Jesus holds up the man with his wounded hand near his heart symbolizing Jesus wants to change all hearts by the power of his love. His white robe depicts righteousness of which we all should have. The flowing blood is seen as the washing away of our sins. White lilies show us of his beauty and our adoration of him.

Look closer at your relationship with God, maybe just maybe you will see something you have not seen before.

I love you all,
CYBESD

3 comments:

D said...

I view the mallet and nail as MY will, MY strength, MY worldly views. Everyday I try to do things MY way, w/o seeking the Lord, I am swinging my mallet. Every day I don't accept the LOVE God is giving me I am trying to put that nail back in His hands. But He is always there. When I am faint and exhausted from swinging my mallet He is there to pick me up, even with my mallet still in hand but too tired to lift it. I will swing my mallet again "for all fall short of the glory of God" but what if I could completely drop my mallet and nail, what if I could only rely on those arms that embrace me, that raise me up?

David G. said...

Well said my friend as only you can.

Anonymous said...

Well said.