Saturday, September 1, 2007

Setting Goals and why or why not...

A very good friend of mine was sharing with me how important it is to write down goals. I kind of laughed it off but as usual this great friend managed once again to plant a seed squarely in my heart. I could not understand why I rarely if ever in my life would do that goal setting thing. Every time including this time I would make some excuse not to and tops of the list would always be my favorite "No Time". I have been praying about it and it is pretty clear to me that I have to in order to have better direction in my life. Sure the winds of change can come in almost any time but like a navigator at sea we still must chart our course. Our heavenly father clearly wants us to set goals.

2Cr 5:9 "So we make it our goal to please him whether we are at home in the body or away from it".
1Cr 9:26
So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I am not like a boxer who misses his punches.
2Cr 10:13
But we will not boast of authority we do not have. Our goal is to stay within the boundaries of God's plan for us, and this plan includes our working there with you.
Job 6:11
But I do not have the strength to endure. I do not have a goal that encourages me to carry on.

I understand there are two kinds of goals, ones you accomplish and ones you don't. Up to now I have only managed to set the goal of not setting goals. A huge error. So at least for now I have managed to get one goal on the books and out of the way which is starting this journal. Thanks oh Lord for using my friend Sean to teach me about goals. Accomplishing goal is important but lessons learned from those you don't obtain can be priceless.

CYBESD

Today a Valiant Man

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its amazing how God uses one another to keep us on the right path. Many times we are not even aware of how God is working in our lives. We continually seek for purpose and what God's will is for our lives. During those times sometimes God is speaking straight to our hearts and we don't even know it till we step back and reflect.
Derek asks Dave about setting Goals, this question is then passed on to me. Goal setting has now become a regular topic of discussion. This has resulted in placing prayer hand in hand with these Goals by asking God for direction, confirmation, and strength in this area.
Pr 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Anonymous said...

David, Amen. Goals are simply proactive steps for the kingdom of God. We often discuss God's plan in our lives. Well, the plan is simply goal-setting and those goals are all his word in the "Good News". I learned the following from Earl Nightengale, a solid Christian and the creator of Self-improvement as we know it on Earth. He came up with a simple process in his tape set entitled, "Lead the Field".
He tells us to each morning, list 6-8 priorities that we want to accomplish each day. We start at one and finish before moving to the other. I do this most days, as life happens sometimes, and the first one is always Read Bible/Pray and then Journal. That puts me in the right mindset to take on Earth! If you can't make it to all of them, so you push it to the next day. Love ya, DG

Troy said...

Hab 2:2 And the LORD answered me, and said: 'Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that a man may read it swiftly.
Hab 2:3 For the vision is yet for the appointed time, and it declareth of the end, and doth not lie; though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not delay.'

I have heard some people say that your vision is also your goals. Write it down and it will come to pass; does it come to pass because we wrote it down? Just something to think about.